Monday, July 5, 2010

Wallwisher Continued...

It was fairly easy to build my own wall in a minute of seconds. I didn't have to register by giving out a whole lot of personal information to create my own wall. I just had to type my name and email address. Then, I picked the background of my wall, added a title/question, and picked out my security settings. I wanted the option of seeing posts made by others, before they were added to my wall. Also, in a minute of seconds, a password was sent to my email so that I could manage my wall settings.

Here is a link to a sample wall that I have created. I posed a question and answered them on multiple sticky notes. You could click anywhere on the wall to make a sticky note. You can also move the sticky notes around. If I wanted to, I could also post images and videos on my wall. Below is a screenshot of my wall.



Before, I thought that this would be a difficult tool to use in my own classroom with my students, being as young as they are. However, the more I have used this tool, I have realized that it doesn't necessary have to be a tool that my students use directly. Rather it could be a tool that I could use to post and share the ideas and work of my students. I could even make it into a matching game to review concepts taught in math. Also, I could make word families. I could ask the students to think of a word with the -at pattern and make a word families wall.

Some ways that you could use Wallwisher as part of a telecollaborative project are: book discussions, publishing poetry, surveying students in different classrooms, creating a short story that students can build on, a group wall where students can share their ideas about a topic, a forum where students can pose their own questions. Students can also publish their work using pictures and videos and share with others. There are so many things you can do. Can you think of any other ways???

One negative thing that I found as I was playing around with Wallwisher is the uncensored nature of this tool. Pictures or videos are not approved or edited before being posted to the wall. Therefore, teachers would need to set strict guidelines if using this tool in their classroom, especially if they are allowing students to make their own posts.

Also, if you choose to have your wall open to the public, you have to be careful because anyone can post to your wall. They could even write something that is inappropriate. However, the user at anytime can remove a sticky note.

No comments:

Post a Comment